Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Grab your rifle, soldier.



I've been reading up on Stargrunt II (Ground Zero Games) lately, and decided that I'll give it a shot whenever I can meet up with my usual gaming group to play.

The rules favor leadership, morale and tactics over suicidal heroism and science-fantasy elements of say, WH40K. Not that I don't enjoy a good game of Warhammer, but a solid; open-ended "hard Sci-Fi" wargame provides a nice alternative. Especially if I can tinker, modify rules and make up my own armies.

By default Stargrunt II does not use a points system. The game is centered around using scenarios which are not usually balanced on a man-per-man basis. Players commanding under-gunned forces will definitely have to make use of tactical maneuvers, terrain and whatever assets they might have to survive, let alone succeed.

If players really want a points system, they can write one, or use one of the several that have been posted to the Internet. I might do this myself, just to experiment.

Between Stargrunt II and Crater (whenever I get round to that last revision) I'll even get some practical use out of the copy of "Scenarios For Wargames" (Charles Stewart Grant) I've been reading through.

While the game as written focuses on squad-to-platoon-level engagements it is possible to expand the elements used on the table. You can, for instance, play at battalion- or regiment-strength if you wish (as long as you have the table space and patience!), and it looks like it doesn't take too much extra work with the rules for it.

I've decided to start a collection of 15mm figures to help with this. Sure, I've got orks and space marines up to my ankles, but I'm not really willing to play an Apocalypse scale game at Games Workshops "28mm" scale. With 15mm, I've got a very wide selection of companies and miniature ranges to choose from (GZG alone has some great miniatures); I can field a battalion with the same table space a 40K platoon (equivalent) would take up and collecting 15mm is dirt cheap by comparison.

So I've got some work cut out for me, however, as that will still require a lot of painting, experimenting with rules and of course playing with TO&E lists for each of the armies.

Oh, and let's not forget about the battle reports once I get a few games in! Personally writing after-action reports and TO&E lists are two of my favorite aspects of wargaming.

So I'll keep posting about my progress here on /.moonfire, and let you know what I'm doing if I decide to use any alternate or house rules.

Until next time!

- Seamus

No comments: